View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #18
coreseller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
To me, that is like saying that if you only drive your car on weekends then you don't need a Porsche because a Mazda will suffice. High-end tools, to me, are more than just tools. They are art and a joy to behold. The Lee Valley catalog should have a centerfold.

Hunting down old Snap-On tools on ebay is a hobby in itself for me. I get no joy from buying tools over the counter, unless maybe it's a kick-ass deal on something I've wanted for a while.
Well, since we're making observations, to me, I think it's foolish and laughable to drop several thousands of dollars on what could be had for a few hundred and accomplish the same purpose. From my experience the above mentioned Kobalts and Craftsman tools never let me down, again my experience. Probably like 90% of people who see me going down the street in a 911 and think "What a tool, could of gotten around in a decked out Camry for a third of the price".

If you see tools as more than just tools, as art and a joy to behold, more power to you. I see it as an utter waste of money, unless their superior quality actually provides a benefit for you (please refer back to the hobbyist vs. professional remark). Not razzing you Mark, just pointing out we all have different priorities.....kind of like my shaking my head at my partner's Rolex Presidential, my Seiko does the same thing.........

I wish ebay was around decades back, wouldn't have had to drive to Kansas City for a 442 decklid, nor to Canada for a Shelby 7 quart oil pan, etc., etc. All we had then was Hemmings. But then again, back then road trips were fun .

Last edited by coreseller; 03-11-2014 at 04:46 PM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote