View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #14
coreseller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Would not be fair as the OP is just starting out and as you mentioned, I already "own the candy store". But I will comment that it is a bad idea to buy tools on price alone, as you typically get exactly what you paid for. Buy quality and reputation, you will never be disappointed. Tools, in spite of what many think, should be a life time investment, and approached as such. I have tools in my "boxcar" that have been in continuous service for more than four decades, so the price I paid for them is insignificant in relation to their value.
Agreed on the life time investment, but if you are more of a hobbyist / maintainer type vs. using them Mon - Fri 8 to 5 duty a decent set of Kobalt or Craftsman (Pre-Chinese mfr.) would likely suffice. I bought a decent sized Craftsman kit in the mid 1980's, restored a few cars, probably rebuilt a dozen motors / transmissions, bla bla bla, I think I've traded out one 3/8 drive ratchet along with a couple of screwdrivers in 30 years.

Snagging snap-on or equal quality tools off of ebay is a great idea if just starting to build up your collection, for me it would present too much of a PITA factor vs. buying the whole kit and being done but to each their own.......
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote