View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 06:26 AM   #13
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
Sorry, but where did I question Jake's expertise? I did nothing of the sort. I am merely pointing out that when it comes to judging the reliability of a product, the vendor is not an adequate source of data for overwhelmingly obvious reasons.

Re the limited data, that's fine. The problem arises when things are misrepresented. If Jake had qualified his IMS failure numbers, then one would be inclined to take them seriously. However he did not. He presents them as conclusive, comprehensive facts when in reality there is no way for him to know exactly how many have failed and in turn no way to know the circumstances associated with any failures he may be unaware of.

I don't think there's any doubting his expertise on these matters. But that doesn't mean everything he says on a forum makes sense or amounts to good information / advice. I'm afraid his heavy handed self-promotional instincts undermine his message, in my view.
Jake is, in fact, not the vendor of the retrofit IMS bearings, nor is he the manufacturer of them. In fact, he does not even sell any parts or tooling. His facility was used (in conjunction with LN Engineering) to develop and test both the components and replacement methodology for doing the retrofits.