View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #17
BYprodriver

Garage
In 2003 I bought my Box on E-bay flew to Portland OR performed a PPI/preflight check & drove back to Manhattan Beach CA via Pacific Coast hwy 1 over the next 4 days. 2002 I was managing Porsche's western region Press Fleet. Road & Track was having a competion to find the "Best Handling Car" @ Buttonwillow track near Bakersfield CA. R&T invited Porsche to bring a Box S & 996 Turbo. The only Turbo we had was north of LasVegas in The Valley of Fire for a photo shoot for 2003 models. I left Long Beach at noon driving a new 2003 C4S with supple leather seats & met Eric Dahlquist the photographer. I traded the C4S for the Turbo with standard leather seats & headed back to Manhattan Beach arriving about 2:00am. Got 2 hours sleep & headed out to Button Willow, refueled close to the track & bumped up the tire psi a couple lbs. before delivering to R&T about 7:30am. At 8:00am Brian Herta the guest hot shoe arrived to do most of the numbers testing.
Longest day was about 25 hours. I was driving from LA to LA (Louisiana to Los Angeles), spent the night at my cousin's house in Dallas. Left for LA at 8:00am stoped to receive a speeding ticket in Calhoun County from a Deputy who refered to my "little yellow car". Stoped for dinner about an hour in Phoenix, arrived on the outskirts of LA @ 8:00am & finally arrived in Manhattan Beach close to LAX about 9:30am.