View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #20
rick3000
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Perhaps your son has back and neck injuries and is suffering, a good lawyer should get him into 911 territory, perhaps even new.

Just saying that insurance would likely want to settle out of court for at least a used Boxster.
I doubt they'd even blink at a $20K settlement.

First thing I thought when I saw his mangled car is ...Don't sign anything having to do with the accident, not even from the police and get a lawyer to help you settle with insurance.

I not saying to try and cheat the system, but my god it looks like he's lucky to even be alive and we need Sh* drivers like that off the road for everyones sake.

Very glad to hear he's not feeling damaged at the moment and wasn't mortally wounded.

This also bring up a related point that Occupants in Boxster accidents fair much better than most other cars and in a high percentage of accidents walk away unharmed. Good reason for him to consider a Boxster I'd say.

As someone that has dealt with lawyers in relation to a similar accident, where I was knocked unconscious (not in my 986) and got to ride in an ambulance, what you describe is not the case. Insurance companies do not write checks easily, and will take as long as possible while being as unpleasant as possible before they settle.

The only ones that win are the lawyers. Even if he could settle for $20k, the lawyer with take 1/3, the health insurance costs will then be deducted (even after being negotiated down significantly), and you would be lucky to walk away with $5k after everything is said an done (maybe after 2 years, it took me 3 years). It all depends, but it would hardly put you in 911 territory.

I am very glad your son is okay, and I would have him checked out by a good doctor just to be safe. It is worth getting the documentation, as some injuries, like headaches related to whiplash, may not show up for several months.

I'll throw out a used Subaru like the WRX as a suggestion, they are a little more substantial than a Miata, are relatively inexpensive to buy and maintain, and have a decent amount of HP.

Last edited by rick3000; 02-26-2014 at 03:28 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote