View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #16
Jamesp
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
semi OT, but in the process of judging whether i want to do this myself..

In the pic, is it safe to rest the car on wood blocks underneath that cross bar underneath? Also, I've always struggled with using the jack point with the floor jack and then not having a place to put the actual jackstand... Can I jack the rear end of the car up in the middle of that underbracing that goes under the transmission?

Sorry if that's a Boxster 101 question, but I absolutely loathe jackstands and try to avoid them whenever possible (I use ramps typically), but in this case, wheel has to come off, so i'm trying to figure this out.
Nope - this is soo wrong on so many levels. There ia a 101 Boxster projects book that details how to properly do this. The positoning of the blocks is near the hard point where the lifting jack is useful, and the lifting jack is where the jackstands go. If you set the car down on the blocks where they are, you will not be able to remove the parts that need to come off to take out the axle as the blocks will be in the way. You also need to invest in large jackstands to suport the back at a reasonable height to give you room to work.