View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #11
evan9eleven
2004 Boxster S

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocartfe2 View Post
You will love the car. I bought a 1974 about 4 years ago and a Boxster this last December. The joy of an older car is Great ! You can tinker with them there are thousands of little projects. The Boxster is great to drive but I never take the 74 anywhere that someone doesn't want to talk about it. On the down side defrost, good heat, or decent air-conditioning are just dreams. Buy it.
Thanks! I love tinkering. As for A/C, this is Norway for crying out loud! The heat probably works ok in the summer, don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
SC's have taken off here too. But there was an interesting article recently, in on of the antique car magazines, that cautioned against buying the more accessible 911's during a spike in pricing. Their contention was that these were the first to drop in value and would drop furthest when the market cooled. And ALL MARKETS go up and down. Their belief was that if you're going to make a big investment in a garage queen that you should hold out for one of the more exclusive cars when the market wasn't so hot.

If you're 70-100% certain you'll keep this car forever this might be a good buy since the engine rebuild was recent and it will take you a long time to rack up mileage on the car.
Interesting perspective. The funny thing is that the market for these cars is just starting to heat up here, behind the rest of the world. But cars are so breathtakingly expensive here anyway no matter what you buy. While this one isn't cheap, its not way out there either and the current owner has eaten the cost of a lot of repairs. Possibly to my benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Dude View Post
Go for it !
But good PPI is not superfluous...
PPI will be done if I move forward on it, for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
I love the color of the car you posted and it seems very well cared for

I just read an article in the European magazine Porsche and 911 comparing the SC and Carreras of similar years and it talked about the reliability of the 3.0 engine and how "zippy" it was but the more refined car was the 3.2 carrera with the g50 gearbox. There used to be a big price difference between the 2 cars but that gap has now closed
Its a funky color for sure, but its growing on me. I've never driven a G50 car, but the 915 gearbox is a classic! For refinement I have other less exciting cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Looks like a great car. If you feel the price is fair I don't think you can go too wrong with a air cooled 911.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I'm thinking a new couch or jewelry or something is in your future It looks like a well maintained, 33 year old 911. I think you have already made your decision
Wife wants to build a new house with a view. If I get the 911 I have to give in. And she says that my toys are expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedOnPorsches View Post
It looks like a well maintained 911. I haven't had much direct experience with the SC line, but I've ready they are very reliable. Its Norwegian service records sound great too.

This is probably just personal preference, but if I were looking for an older 911 (i.e. not 964 or 993) I'd probably focus on finding a late model year 3.2 (1987-89) with the better transmission.

That said I have no clue what the Norwegian p-car market is like. Finding a late model 3.2 might be near impossible.
The mid eighties cars can be found but I don't see many late ones. A pristine original '85 Carrera with 30K miles sold last week for almost $70K... in one day! That said, a project car can be had for a fraction of that. This SC appeals to me since I'll eventually redo it cosmetically and backdate it anyway, and considering the new motor and all its not a bad deal.
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote