View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #36
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
I had no idea you could powdercoat/paint wheels. I would be very interested in that. I must find out more.
I did this for my factory Carreras 5 spokes. They've gone up in price considerably since I picked them up for $1,100 about 10 years ago. But painting was not cheap although not that expensive either, I think I paid $800. I had a gun metal finish done where the first layer was black (not sure if powder coat) and a mettalic gun metal color was applied on top. Similar to the BMW "chrome shadow" used on the previous M3's that came in all those wild colors.

But I would second the suggestion to go with the plasti-dip a first course of action to see how you like it. Probably $100 for the prep cleaners, paint cans and special spray gun handle that clips ontop of the cans.
It's fairly simple and the guys at DipYourCar.com don't even remove the tire from the wheel. They just take up the tire with masking tape.

In this video they layer over matte black with gold, but I'm sure silver will give you the same effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qd9ILYezWM&list=PL8Cnc6kMnQhPob341Elr4kW2N9rtq3UfF
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote