View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
cheetah

I might have gotten the best deal ever: 3.4L variocam plus engine out of a 06 Cayman S with 25K on the engine. Deep sump mods, engine passed every dealer test and came with all accessories. $4K from a dealership. The Cayman owner was having the dealership swap in a 3.8L so the dealership just wanted to make some money back on the 3.4.

One has to have cash on hand to get a good deal though. I left work early the day I found it, inspected it, and gave them 10% on the spot. I arranged pickup and paid in full a few days later.

I bought other mods and put them on before the engine went it also. Since I put a 7.8 DME into a 7.2 car, I had to have the dealership make everything happy immobilizer wise. I also had Softronic make me a custom ROM. So I spent a lot on minor items, not all of them needed; but I wanted to do everything on the garage floor instead of being a contortionist with our lack of a normal opening. I even fiberglasses a custom airbox. It was fun and in the end well worth it. The car is so much quicker than it was stock.