View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 07:06 AM   #18
Perfectlap

F14 is a great wheel. A trick to find in 18" which imho is the proper size for best performance.
Some 19" wheels worsen the ride quality, especially if you're on lower springs but less so if the weight is ~20 Lbs. and under.
20" wheels on the 986 are ridiculous. The rattles are bad enough with a 20lb. wheel, going with anything heavier is nuts.

I would not spring for any expensive wheels unless they were forged. Or at least the flange part as some do to cut costs. Cast wheels that are pricey like forged wheels is crazy to me. Some non-forged wheels like certain BBS models are low pressure cast or flow formed to make them much stronger than the typical (gravity) cast wheel sold in the back of car magazines but they're still steeply priced. Might as well go forged. Forged wheels always sell for good prices second hand too.

The F14 is a nice trade off for a cast wheel of price and weight but it's still just a street wheel.
You might consider the OZ Allergita as well. Those are popular for track use while not being absurdly priced like some of Porsche OEM cast wheels.
The saying is true "weight, strength or cost -- you can only have two of the three".

p.s.
You're current wheels aren't bad. I'd paint those gun metal and run them as winter beaters on some all season tires. Granted, I don' know if the temps in your state go below freezing of if you get more than an inch of snow. I run full winter tires from November to April. And have they come in handy this year. Last wheek I was stuck in a parking spot, even with the winter tires it took some doing to get out of that.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-20-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote