View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
black_box
DIY extremist

Weak points of M96/97 Engines other than the IMSB

(I know this is 987 question, not 986, but you guys seem to know a lot about engines)

Ok, so I am 99% certain to be taking the plunge and investing in a boosted Cayman (deposit is down).

The motor was shipped to LN for machining and sleeving, 100mm pistons are forged JE 10:1, new crank with stock stroke so displacement is 3.7L, billet rods from LN, ARP bolts, all new bearings, IMS retrofit done, upgraded oil pump. TPC stage 2 intercooled turbo, Dynoed at 460 WHP/ 420 WTQ on conservative boost and tune, stock rev limiter.

Motor has 5k and two oil changes so far w/ used oil analysis looking good. Not tracked by current owner.

Planning to do AX/Track with this beast on dedicated sticky tires, keeping my Boxster S for when I take the girlfriend (Probably still going to sell before end of summer)

So the big question is:

What are the failure points now? Do you think that this build addressed the weaknesses of this motor sufficiently?

I know that high-g oiling is an issue on M97s, so I may look into an Accusump or similar if I run anything stickier than Direzza ZIIs or RE-11s.

black_box is offline   Reply With Quote