View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #67
BIGJake111

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
^ I think Porsche has the best brand image. But after 10 years of ownership I would not say they are the best at making sports cars. I'm not sure I would give that title to any German car company for that matter. I tell my friends that these are cars are precise, well-thought out, reliable but far from being durable. But for the steep premium one pays to get in and to service and maintain, they are not that much better at many of these than some Japanese sports cars. If you were to remove all the romanticism behind Porsche and looked at it coldly and objectively on feedback and performance you quickly realize that Porsche are successful largely because rich people are successful. And they rarely drive their cars very much before trading the in for the newest thing that the Porsche is offering.
And frankly, American sports cars should be a lot closer to Porsche than they are now. They've got the first car in the C7 that somewhat starts to bridge the gap for a very low cost relative to even a Cayman, but with fully warranty for track use. If GM could make a Cayman-like version of the Stingray, ditto for Ford, things would change quickly. And Both those U.S. brands have a long a history of winning at LeMans like Porsche and are frankly better suited for sprint racing than a rear-engine only racing program like Porsche's.
I feel the issue with American companies is the buyer and not the companies yes they have won Le Mans but many Americans have no idea what Le Mans is and no matter how good of a track car it is, it wouldn't sell. Those that do know of Le Mans and such would likely rather have a Porsche even if its a bit more money for a bit less car.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote