View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 01:50 AM   #1
markskyline

Garage
Changed the factory stereo/speakers and added a subwoofer

Once of the first things I wanted to do when I got the box was to rip out the factory stereo. I had the tape player/cd changer combo. I dont have rear speakers and the dash speakers sounded terrible.

Put an Alpine head unit. Picked this one as it can switch the lights to orange.

Swapped out the dash speakers for 4" JL Audio C2's and the doors with 6 1/2" JL's as well. I used the factory door enclosure. Had to dremmel out a bit to make the bigger speaker fit. Depth was no problem.

Installed the amps where the CD changer would go. Reused the factory bracket to mount the amps. I tapped into the factory wiring for the door/dash speakers. Ran 3 pairs of RCA's back to the head unit.

Made a fiberglass mold of the passengers kick area. Most of the time I'm driving solo but I left a bit of space on the left side to stretch your legs. Was able to fit a JL Audio 10tw3 shallow subwoofer in about half a cubic foot of space. Sounds pretty good! Totally recommend the sub. I've seen people install an 8" sub but wanted to go bigger so glad I did. I knew I was going to swap the interior color so I haven't carpeted the enclosure yet. I also used quick disconnects on the wires so I can remove the sub enclosure if I needed the room.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the sound. The sub makes a world of difference. I used to install stereos for several years and found installing in the box pretty straight forward.

If anyone has any questions about installing a stereo in the car just shoot me a message. There's lots of threads in this forum that was totally helpful.
markskyline is offline   Reply With Quote