View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 05:57 AM   #18
RandallNeighbour

dbth, you do make a good point about a young man with parents who can afford it and the fact that he's a responsible high achiever.

However, I'd like to point out a couple of things that you didn't mention...
1) Doing this teaches the child little about the value of money and possessions. I've had numerous rich kid friends who made 4.0 averages in high school and would say things like, "Who gives a F**k? If I wreck this one, they'll buy me another." Yes, even the ones that look like little angels around their parents can turn into spoiled, arrogant brats the second they want to turn it on.
2) Giving a sports car with this much power to someone who's only been behind the wheel for 30 months is sheer stupidity to me. I'd never do it, no matter how wealthy I was. (Now before some of you hot rodding boys tell me you had a Chevelle or a Vette in high school, stop and think about traffic when you were a teen compared to today!)

I don't have kids, but I've thought a lot about how I'd help them mow lawns or babysit when they were 12 or 13 and help them learn how to save for their own car when they turned 17 or 18... they'd have a great deal of pride of ownership, probably wouldn't trash it, and would also be paying their own insurance, fuel and maintenance on the car, or walk or ride a bike or the bus.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote