View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #19
BigShow

I don't know many people that don't ask what the price of something is before they buy it, maybe I'm out of my league here.

Really, single row IMS buyers are buying only the Solution and dual row IMS buyers are some mix between Retrofit and Solution? I guess the data says that dual row bearings weren’t that bad (weren’t as bad as single row) in the first place.

I was OK looking at used Porsches for my next car with the expectation of spending about $4k to $5k on preventative maintenance, IMS, brakes, water pump, and so on. But, if the IMS is fix $4k alone I’m probably out of the used Porsche market. I’m not a teen ager, I have pretty good income, I can buy a pretty good toy, there has to be a better option. Heck, I’ve been driving minivans and SUVs for 25 years, a Nissan Sentra is going to feel like a sports car.

I do understand the peace of mind value. One day you’ve got a fantastic powerful sports car the next day you’re in the pinewood derby. Engine rebuild/replace costs run from what $8K to $20K installed (not sure if $8k is too low)? So, an IMS Solution is 20% to 50% the cost of a rebuild?

To me the Solution makes the most sense on an engine rebuild. How long should a well maintained engine last? I know there's an example on YouTube of a million mile Porsche but that owner went through three engines. So let’s say a well maintained Porsche engine will last 350,000 miles or six clutch-IMS Retrofit changes. If you said the IMS Retrofit bearing increases the clutch replacement cost by $600 then after six clutch-IMS Retrofit changes the total IMS cost is $3,600, the Solution doesn’t not pay for itself by the 350,000 mile engine failure.

I’m sorry, I probably sound whiney. I think the Solution and Retrofit IMS fixes are clever. I can’t imagine how much collectively Porsche owners have lost on resale value from the D-chunk and IMS design short comings. It’s not hard to imagine that these issues cost Porsche in reputation and new sales. Porsche owners are losing resale value, lower resale value means that prospective buyers have less cash to put toward their next purchase.

Anyone want to try to talk me back in to the used Porsche market?
BigShow is offline   Reply With Quote