View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
BigShow

Starting My Boxster Research

My first car was a Road Runner. I’ve owned a few hatches, my two seat CRX Si was a blast. But then we had kids. The kids are all grown and out of the house and I’m done paying tuition. Now I want something smaller and more fun to drive. After 25 years of minivans and SUVs a Nissan Sentra will feel like a sports car.

I have been following the new Mustang, and thinking about another Civic Si as well as GTI, and even the GTD if it comes to the states. But I think I’ve found the make and model that I want, a Boxster or Cayman. I even have the green light from my SO.

This site is an amazing resource. After researching here I’m over IMS and RMS worries. It does seem like there are plenty of other maintenance issues though. Smaller maintenance issues and basic maintenance I should be able to handle. I expect to buy tiers and brakes often, Tires on the CRX only lasted 15,000 miles. It’s interesting to note that we still have a low mileage 1998 Camry which has been surprisingly expensive to maintain.

Locally one of my close friends has a 911 and is very involved in the local Porsche club and another has a Cayman and has given me the contact info for his mechanic.

I’m not in a hurry to find a car, I may wait as long as a year. It seems like in my part of the country, the Midwest, there are fewer Boxsters to choose from. It also seems like pricing in deep winter lower than summer, enough to make a significant difference.

So, what do I think I’m looking for;, an ‘01 to maybe an ‘07, with 50,000 to 60,000 miles, preferably with completed 60,000 maintenance. Though I’d still consider a ‘97 to 2,000. Purchase budget from $10.000 to $25,000.

I think I have only one question at this point, who performs the PPI, a Porsche dealer, and Porsche Dealer only, or are others qualified?

This should be fun…
BigShow is offline   Reply With Quote