View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #18
LAP1DOUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993innc View Post
So the GT3 arms are wider or should I say longer than my stock arms? Do the gt3 arms require the steering rods etc to be changed as well? Not sure I'm understanding how one gets more camber out of arms vs camber plates. I'd love to not go the plate route since they've got a tendency to move slightly but it's what I know from my water cooled Vw days.
If you don't have any shims installed, the GT3 type arms are the same length as your stock arms. On the GT3 type arms, the inside bushing housing is a separate piece that bolts to the rest of the arm, and you add shims as needed where these two pieces bolt together to make the overall control arm length anything that you want (within reason).

The real limitation with camber plates on these cars is that the nut on top of the strut runs into the body as you slide the top in to gain negative camber. The GT3 type arms obviously don't have this issue, and you can gain caster adjustment, and eliminate or reduce the rubber bushing deflection depending on which brand you go with.

I used to be a BMW camber plate guy myself, so don't worry about making the change from being a plate guy to an arm guy.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote