Thread: Timeless design
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz View Post
The 986 is not a future classic Iīm afraid, too many built and not special in any way. Donīt get me wrong, I love my Box, but there were "too many" built for it to achieve any classic status. The first Turbo and the 959 are classics to come. Not even the 914 which I have driven a lot, is special enough.
by that that standard nearly all Porsches are used cars. Few have recovered their original sticker prices in the second hand market, certainly not when you consider what it cost to buy a Porsche in earlier periods of substantially higher interest rates. They were much more expensive in past than a new 991 or 981 sells for today.

I may be mistaken but a genuine collectible is a car that regardless of mileage is now traded for a price above its original purchase price. Very very few Porsche have reached this point. The 550 is one, the 73 RS another.
However most older Porsches today, particulalry the air-cooled, if mileage starts to go up high, the price goes down quickly and below its original sticker. That's technically still used car status (albeit a resilient used car) and not yet a true collectible.
So if the Boxster never becomes a collectible it will simply be like just about every other Porsche made since the 550.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-24-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote