View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 07:25 AM   #7
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Jim,

All very good points. And I think it's good to be skeptical about horsepower gains - particularly with all of the claims we've seen out there. No one should expect "bolt on gains". It just doesn't happen. Believe me Jim, I completely understand the math and dynamics behind superchargers.

My question is: Did you read the information I provided through the links? To me it doesn't sound as if you did. That's fine if it's the case - I appreciate your insight and knowledge regardless. But if you did read the links, well then I'm really interested in your analysis of this product in specific and not electric superchargers in general.

BTW, I found a great article about some guys who built their own "bilge pump" blower and they found that it actually dropped their HP by 10! They removed the device with a baseball bat.
Hi,

I did read all the articles. I still believe the Drawbacks exceed the Benefit. For instance, it's only available for short bursts, great if you're coming out of the 4th Corner heading for the Line, but on the Street, not all that useful. Also, you invariably shorten a Naturally Aspirated design Engine by Forcing it, admittedly a compromise many are willing to take.

There are a number of pretty Wild claims so far as HP increases, longevity and reliability are concerned. No mention is made of required Mods to Injectors, Exhaust and ECU or the costs associated with them. I don't have one or use one, so I cannot state this unequivicably, but if it offered that much promise, the Guy would most likely be Marketing it to Major Manufacturers rather than the DIYer, because that's where the real money would lie.

Multiple Motors and isolating the power draw from the Car's own system are somewhat innovative, but not Earth Shattering. As I said, I am not as yet convinced. Also, I own a Turbo-Designed car - the Esprit. I inherently dislike Forced Induction primarily because of the Car's Split Personality. I think a lot of Super/Turbo appeal comes from the noticable kick when the Boost comes on, but I find it upsetting. I had enough of that when I was a Government Employee being shot off Carrier Decks back when I was too young and too stupid to know better...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote