View Single Post
Old 02-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I don't have a manual handy so,

Does Porsche specify a drain and refill schedule for the tip transaxle? I am asking as I have a 328I sedan that BMW claims is a lifetime fill trans.

Color me skeptical and I am about to service that trans and change the filter, and fluid etc.

Just curious what Porsche's position on this is.

Also, if specified, what fluid does Porsche recommend upon refill?

Thanks
Hi,

There is a change interval for the Tiptronic S tranny. It's 40k mi., Fluid, Filter and Gasket. The only approved ATF is Porsche Part # 999.917.545.00 ESSO LT 71141 or equivalent (whatever that means...??).

ATF expands significantly when heated, so the fill must be done with the Fluid between 85°F and 100°F. If the Temp is too Low, you'll Overfill it and conversely if the Temp is too High, you'll Underfill it.

But, the Fluid Level s/b checked at least annually. Open the Fill Screw and at proper Temp (take care not to be scalded), a little Fluid should drip out, if not, you need to Top it Up.

There's a special Fluid Pump needed for the Fill. Porsche recommends the VW Tool VAG 1924 ($324!) or you can make your own from a Garden Sprayer and some bent Tubing. The Kicker is that the Fill opening is capped internally by a Rubber Deflector Cap with Fill Flaps on either side. You need a nozzle, for lack of a better word, which is bent back at a 45° Angle to slip through this Fill Flap, and one can be fashioned from some Copper Tubing or such. Care must be taken when inserting the nozzle not to dislodge this Deflector Cap. If it is dislodged, you're Draining and Removing the Pan again to recover it and put it back in place.

The Capacity is 9 ltrs. including the Torque Converter or 3.5 ltrs. for a Fluid Change. I am going to change mine this Spring at 24k mi. because of a need to replace the Gasket due to some seepage around the Pan Seam (I have to dump the Fluid to remove the Pan and replace the Gasket, so I'll change the Filter and clean the Pan and the Magnets while I'm in there).

Also, the Differential Oil Supply is separate on the Tiptronic (It is shared with the Manual Transmission Oil on Cars with Manual Transmissions). So this must be checked separately. This uses standard SAE 75W90 Hypoid Gear Oil (Cap. 0.85 US Quarts). The Drive Axle must be removed to do this, so it's a good idea to plan this for when you need to R&R the CV Joint Boots.

FYI, the appropriate Torque Values are:
  • 1. Filter Retaining Srews - 4.5 Ft. Lbs.
    2. Transmission Pan Retaining Screws - 8 Ft. Lbs.
    3. Transmission Pan Drain Plug - 29 Ft. Lbs.
    4. Transmission Filler Plug - 59 Ft. Lbs.

The Dealer wants $650 for this work. My estimate, including Filter, Gasket and Fluid will be $225. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-19-2006 at 10:53 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote