View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #17
Jamesp
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by haste View Post
alright, the 13 bolts are removed. The hard part is removing that oil pan! Gave up after 15 minutes. The car is hardly off the ground however.

I heard pry bar in a certain area?

I used a rubber mallet and hit around the mount areas , no give.
The rubber mallet sounds like a great idea to vent frustration. I'm using that in the future.

Go to the right rear of the pan, look for the engine number, it will look like this from a distance

and this close up

There is plenty of meat to pry between the engine number and the oil pan to get it started. The left rear corner also has a pryable area, but not nearly as nice. Do yourself a favor and get jack stands and a hydraulic jack from harbor freight, and then look up how to properly jack up and support the car so you don't damage it. Be sure to block the front wheels. Don't get the smallest jack stands, you want to lift about 19 inches in front of the back wheels so you can just roll right on in and get the job done. My experience is that you want a hydraulic jack that starts out as low as possible. Otherwise it will not be low enough to be of any use. Get a jack that starts as low as you can. I paid $80 at harbor freight, and it works great.