View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
hitch02

I love eBay as a place to sell a car - especially something rare or specific collector appeal - because it opens up markets. I've sold several cars to folks in Europe and the Middle East through eBay. I give very thorough descriptions, photos, and I encourage inspections. That said, once you've won it, it's yours unless I failed to disclose something. The fact is, you will likely find something about my car that you don't like, but didn't get my attention and so I did not say anything about it. Cars are very subjective, as are buyer's hot buttons. Caveat emptor, get a PPI, and so on. If you're spending your money it's up to you ultimately to make sure you're getting what you think you're getting.

At the same time, I have bought a lot of cars on eBay too. For cheap cars, I'm willing to take risks. I have gone to pick up cars and found substantial undisclosed problems and walked away - usually with a check from the seller for my trouble. But I have been burned, too. Some people just suck - and so do some cars. If you absolutely MUST have a car and absolutely can't go see it yourself and get it inspected, at least protect yourself with extensive Q&A in writing. If a seller won't respond in writing - I walk away. It's a hassle sometimes to answer detailed questions, but they want to sell the car. If you still absolutely have to have it despite a relatively uncooperative seller, then it's ultimately on you.

And that's why I like to buy local and sell internationally!

My two cents, FWIW.
'93 300CE Cabrio Pearl Black
'11 E350 4Matic Wagon
hitch02 is offline   Reply With Quote