View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
Perfectlap

All seasons in CT? Hmm.... I don't think that's a good idea. It's NOT the snow,it's the ice the that's the issue. All seasons don't hold a candle to a winter tire in this respect. I almost wish people would stop calling them snow tires because that overlooks the more crucial element of ice patches in fluctuating temps. What is wet during the day can quickly become a sea of ice at night.

I can't tell you how many times I've been out when wet road became snowy road and even on my full winter tires I was jjjjjjust making a turn. The thing is during winter many people are driving on all seasons that have little or no bite on ice beyond what a summer tire can muster. You want your car to be as nimble as possible to avoid a collision with one of those errant drivers. It takes very little in damage to total a Boxster as far as the insurance company is concerned. If you're going to be out $800 on snow tires either way, then getting a set of 18" winter beaters is worth the added manoeverability, way worth it. All season tires only have the correct compound for below freezing temps, they do not have the best tread pattern to permit a quick escape over ice patches. Also, full winter tires will last you easily four seasons maybe five. So what you may have to spend on larger wheels you'll get back on not having to run one tire all year that wears out sooner. Come summer you can can put a proper tire on a world class roadster. If someone wants to put jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none tires on a Porsche, that's their choice but me personally that's not why a bought the roadster that has always set the bar in this category. If I had the space, I wouldn't run the Boxster during winter at all, I'd just get a beater Jeep. But if I'm going to have to drive during NorthEast winters, then the car deserves full winter tires.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-25-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote