View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #17
fatmike

I've been a very similar spot recently...

I think the new 981 Boxster/Cayman is among the best cars that I've ever driven. The truth is, I would probably still be driving a 986S if I hadn't test driven one...

One thing to keep in mind is that the 981 is much bigger. It definitely loses some of the tactile feel compared to the 986. Drive the car, shift the car, push the car and compare it to the 986. The biggest difference, is the new car is very poised but it achieves that poise with less driver involvement (the steering wheel just doesn't tell you much). I was amazed at how easily the 981 went through the set of turns as compared to the 986. It's as if the 981 isn't even working hard to go faster.

I particularly like the look of the new Cayman. And, some of the new color combinations are pure awesomeness (check out the two-tone Agate/Amber interior with your custom exterior color...). That color rocks in person, but looks like a pumpkin on the configuration. IGNORE the configuration and see it with your eyes.

I came to the conclusion after driving one, that I will absolutely buy a 981 (someday).

In the end, I bought a 993 (1996 911). Why? I already made a decision to move on from the 986. The 981 Cayman S was an $80,000 car (!!!). I spent less than half on the air-cooled 911. I couldn't justify the money for the Cayman after driving the 911. The air-cooled 911 isn't depreciating. I figure I can drive it and sell it in a decade for the same (or similar money). The 981 would lose a significant percentage of it's value in just a few years to depreciation.

In the end, for me it really wasn't about money. I could easily afford the 981 if I wanted it. But I figured it would always be there. The time to buy the 993 is now before it gets too old or too "collectible".

Check out the 981, and don't rule out an air-cooled 911 either.

Good luck.

/

Last edited by fatmike; 11-23-2013 at 04:31 AM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote