View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
evomind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
First all the IMS issue is over done here. I have 76k on mine and I am not planning on replacing it. Here's my theory. The odds are better for me to win a million bucks on a lottery ticket than the IMS bearing going out. Boxsters have been being built since 97', yes the early one's had issues especially 97-98. Ok, next you have a Tip, so do I. The major or majority are the cars are with standards, why, because they are the base units and A Tip is a $2500 upgrade. The drivers of Tips usually are not hot dogging their ride, yes, if I had a stick, I would be another Andretti on the road. I think you can figure the rest out. Next the are the cam pads, usually the last a long time and can be checked if necessary to see if they need to be replaced. Lifters hardly ever go bad. Poor oil change maintenance can create that problem. If you get one sticking, add a little SeaFoam to the oil, and I would recommend using some if yor gas maybe every 3 months...great stuff. Now the AOS and Tip service is a DIY job. Easy, get Pelicans 101 Projects for your Boxster. You can also go to Pedro's site and use his DIY section. You will save a bundle.
Hmmmm, I thought the early cars were actually very reliable as far as the IMS goes. 97-2000 had a double row bearing.
Not sure if I agree with your logic on the TIP. Plenty of those guys give their car gas, they just cant drive stick. I also believe giving the car gas shouldn't grenade your engine
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote