View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #31
pjq

Parker 986, WE have cars which Porsche claim are the most vulnerable to this IMS failure, based on who gets what under the IMS class action lawsuit.

I have a 2004 S, was the same bearing as you.

My car had 23000 miles when I bought it in Nov 2010, my car had 43,000 miles on it when the IMS failed with NO warning in Nov 2012. I had the oil changed regularly and the filter inspected. Matter of fact the oil and filter were changed only 5 driving hours before the bearing failed, about 4 days before the failure. My wife and I had been driving for about 4.5 hrs bound for North Carolina when we descided to stop for a break, the car was working great I kept the rev's 3200 +. Upon stopping at the stop sign the engine stopped?? When I restarted the engine it was the "Death Rattle". Scared the s--t out of me, my heart was in my stomach and my stomach was in my mouth. At the time I didn't know what that noice was but it just couldn't be good.
The resultant was a catastrophic engine failure due to a failed IMS bearing.

In 2010 before I bought the car, I did some research and read briefly about IMS. I had a PPI carried out and everything was good. When I got the car home I took it to the local indie shop for oil change and inspection and spoke to him about the IMS. He said just drive it and enjoy it the car was in great shape. Later that summer I took it to the closest Porsche dealership for oil change and inspection and they also told me the car was in great shape IMS was ok, drive it and enjoy it.

Point is my gut told me to change the bearing but others in the know told me otherwise.

I think at the time cost might have been about $2000 for IMS bearing change? Do you have any idea how much it cost to rebuild one of these engines, if it is rebuildable after an IMS bearing failure? Do you know how much a straight used engine cost (junk yard) if you can find one? Do you know how much a Porsche factory rebuilt engine cost? The answer is it starts at $6500 (junk yard) and goes up from there to over $20,000.

So Parker this has been a long rant but the point is, if you are asking the question on this forum you already know what your gut is telling you. Remember its your gut, your car, your research, your descision and the worst part your hard earned money, spend it wisely.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote