View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #178
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
I gather from your post that you have an engineering background - do you, or any of the other engineers that were present, have any concerns about aeration of the oil with DOF? Perhaps you can also chime on in the criticism that the oil in the DOF is unfiltered. That criticism seems to suggest that the oil is in a closed loop and will never pass through the filter. Although the oil does not exit directly from the filter, does it not pass through the filter as it cycles through the engine, just like the rest of the engine oil that is used to lubricate other components? Just interested in the bona fides of some of the criticisms that have been levelled at DOF.
Yes, I have an MS from Georgia Tech 1994. MBA from California State University 2011. I am also a certified Project Management Professional (PMP). I am not a bearing engineer and I have never played one on TV.

No, I do not see how aeration of the oil would be a problem. The oil flow is at system pressures (~30 - 60 psi) out of a very small hole. These are more like garden hose pressures rather than what you'd see from a pressure washer. The cavity where the bearing is held and the oil is sprayed is small with little chance for air entry. The oil will squirt in, the bearing will sling it around, and any excess oil will drain out the slit between the IMS shaft and cover. This isn't some crazy condition where we are just willy nilly spraying profuse amounts of oil around the engine sump. It's also not the "pressure washing" of the bearing that Charles Navarro described. It's a small amount of oil being sprayed into a small space. You know many Porsche engines have oil squirters that spray oil on the back of the pistons for cooling. I've never heard that aeration is specifically an issue with that either.

Honestly TuneRS already weighed in on where their oil comes from and even provided a diagram (it may be in the Pelican Parts discussion). The oil is filtered and cooled before it goes to the DOF.

On the other hand, any oil that the IMS Retrofit would be lubricated with through splash or oil bath lubrication would be oil from the sump and that oil has not been directly, immediately filtered. It is possible that there may be some contaminants in the sump, but generally contaminants will get pulled into and captured in the oil filter. We have to remember that as the engine is running the oil pumps are pumping and circulating oil through the filter over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again... I think you get the point. To say that the oil going to the DOF is unfiltered is just silliness IMHO.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote