View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #16
RaisedOnPorsches

I my situation I bought my Boxster 5 years ago with 25k miles. Being the fourth owner, I knew it had been sitting for sometime and probably hadn't been driven that hard.

I bought my Boxster as a primary car and I didn't have a lot remaining in savings to cover purchasing a new vehicle or factory motor if the current one grenaded on me. Here's what I did:

1) Accepted the fact that I *should* replace my IMSB sooner than later (for peace of mind, reliability of use, and insurance against a more expensive replacement purchase).
2) Started saving up what I could towards that $3000 estimate (IMSB, clutch, & RMS).
3) As soon as I could safely afford it, I had the bearing replaced.

In the time it took me to go through all three steps I probably doubled the mileage on my Boxster through enjoying it and commuting with it. Don't be afraid to use it as is, but be intentional about whether or not you're going to take the plunge and replace the IMSB.

$3000 later, I have no regrets (other than there was probably lots of life left in my prior clutch).

If your boxster is just a weekend hobby car and you can afford to buy another one at the drop of a hat, then I'd hold off on the IMSB until you get accustomed with and attached to this specific car.
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote