View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #17
denverpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I thought major engine failures where pretty much isolated to 99 models with slipped sleaves but I've been seeing more and more engines outside these dates with engine failures...what gives?
Absolutely not. The data I collected off of forums (which I unfortunately didn't keep) showed nearly equal numbers of engine failure from 1997 - 2000 with it declining from 2002 - 2003. I really don't think that the 2002 and up years are less prone to failure, it either just hasn't shown up or was taken care of under warranty. Again, this was non-scientific.

Keep in mind that when someone says their engine "failed" it could be for any number of reasons. Often, they'll never even know since the cost of tearing down the engine to find the problem combined with fixing it can easily exceed the cost of a new engine. The cause postulated to me was "Intermediate Shaft Failure". Although honestly, that was an educated guess on their part. I think I recall their exact words were, "Something broke and it's going to be expensive".

I've heard about the "castings", "intermediate shaft", "bearings", "not driven enough", "driven too much". There are so many theories out there that Oliver Stone could make a movie about it!

Personally, I like MQUILLEN's advice, if you have a Porsche - drive the damn thing!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote