View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #16
denverpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Similar to the RMS issue, having real data on failures would be very interesting and you can see why Porsche would not want this available.

In all fairness, I have not seen tons of engine failures and really, I have no comparative failure rates of other comp manufacturers. So, it is hard to form a firm conclusion on the matter w/o the data.

Having said that, the mere cost of Porsche replacement engine vs (say a chevy v8) is enough to give one the chills!

Since Porsche would never release their data, you're left with polling. But the problem then is whether or not data from forums are really indicative of the overall population. I originally only visited the forums once my engine failed because I wanted to find information and get advice. Am I typical or atypical? It's like political polls that calls households in the afternoon - you've already limited it to people mostly without jobs (college, stay at home parents, retirees) who want to spend the time to answer the damn things. That's definately not indicative of most people I know! I've also wondered how many people out there have experienced the failure but haven't said anything since it was taken care of under warranty.

I think it definately is the extreme cost of the engine combined with they typical low miles on a Porsche that creates the frustration.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote