View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #153
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Let's see, Group A has an opinion based upon years of experience and thousands of successful installations, Group B has a different, and somewhat opposing opinion, based upon a handful of installations and a track record that can probably be measured in weeks.

I'm still at a loss as to why people question the benefit of properly lubricating a ball bearing... Yes, the DOF system is a new product and doesn't have thousands of installs, but the SCIENCE that it is based on is old and well proven. So why question it so much? Sorry for being so blunt, but I think it's time to call it like it is... I personally discount most of what LN Engineering and Jake Raby have said regarding lubrication not being the issue because Jake has made it very clear that he is out for blood in a fierce competition here. He's looking to crush alternative products. If there is real science that he wants to share to add to the discussion of lubrication, then add it. Instead we get vague responses about our AOS maybe failing...

I think the whole story on the importance of proper lubrication has changed. The IMS Retrofit website has been updated to sternly warn against direct oil lubrication now. Their UK distributor website hasn't been updated/changed yet though and it is very, very clear throughout - poor lubrication is the key contributor to the IMS failures.

PORSCHE Intermediate shaft upgrade kit for PORSCHE BOXSTER ENGINE 986 AND PORSCHE 911 996 ENGINE

The failure differences between single row 6204, double row, and single row 6305 bearings seem obvious to me. Without the proper lubrication what kind of problem are you going to have? Accelerated wear. Now if you have more balls or a bigger bearing will you be able to tolerate more wear before failure? Absolutely. So you would expect higher failure rates with the smaller 6204 bearing, but not because the bearing is so weak that it is failing due to low tensile strength. No, when we see IMS bearing failures we don't see shattered, broken bearing balls. What we see are worn races, worn balls, worn cages.

I don't need 12,000 installs and years of experience to tell me that proper lubrication is the best answer to wear. No, there are millions and millions of installs and decades and decades of experience that tell us that proper lubrication is the BEST way to minimize wear in a ball bearing. That's why I see the IMS Retrofit with a stronger bearing as just a band aid solution while the direct oil feed is a real fix, root cause solution.

Kirk Bristol
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote