View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
RaisedOnPorsches

Question Poll: What to do with my '99 986: Upgrade, Modify, or get a 911?

Hey folks,

I haven't posted much in a while, but I've been keeping an eye on the forum for years. Anyhow, I have a 1999 986 Arctic Silver/Boxster Red with about 80k on it now. I purchased it five years ago with 25k and used it as a daily driver since. In general I love the car and I've spent a fair amount to maintain it. During these five years I've replaced the AOS, coolant reservoir, waterpump, clutch, RMS, window regulators, and brake pads/rotors. I also had the LN engineering IMS retrofit installed, as well as a LN engineering low temp. thermostat and a Boxster S oil cooler. So I've put some $$$ and TLC into maintaining her. I've kept her 100% stock partially to preserve value and partially because I haven't had much extra spending cash to let me get carried away. Not even a short shifter kit yet...

With that said, I still have some items that need attention. The front fender is looking pretty ugly after many parking lots and sloped street-side SF parking jobs. The rear fender recently gained some scratches as well from someone grazing it in a parking lot. The plastic window on my top is starting to look a big ugly too (it is still the original top). I'm told its time for a new motor mount and I know there is some plastic under-paneling that needs replacing too. The suspension is probably getting tired too.

What brings me to the point of this thread is I've recently had the good fortune of moving a lot closer to where I work and earning a couple significant raises. I'm itching to do something automotive with my extra income. I'm also a bit afraid of putting much more money into my '99 because it certainly isn't going to appreciate much anytime soon.

So here are the options I'm considering:
  1. Sell my '99 Boxster and upgrade to a new one, probably a 2004 SE 550. The only 987 I'd consider buying is the Spyder and it is a bit beyond my pay scale still.
  2. Upgrade my '99 with a new front bumper cover, restore or repair the rear cover, have some fun with aftermarket upgrades such as short shifters, exhaust, etc. If I do this I know I wont get my money out if I resell it, so I'd just plan to keep her around for a good long while.
  3. Sell my '99 Boxster and give a 911 a try. I'd probably look for one $35k or less, and I'd certainly need to take a loan out to help finance it. Possibly an 80s carrera or a rarer earlier model? I don't have much interest in the 996s and I think the 993s are beyond my price range. This route appeals in part because these cars would likely hold their value or appreciate some, plus they're Porsche 911s...
---------------------------

So what are folks thoughts? Would the difference between a '99 Boxster and the 2004 Boxster S SE 550 be dramatic enough? Would it just end up regretting the aftermarket mods and their expenses? Is it time to bravely jump into the rear-engine world? Any constructive feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
-Jeremy

Here are a couple of photos of her with about 50k miles less on her:

RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote