View Single Post
Old 02-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #12
denverpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
While I am sympathetic and no big fan of Porsche Stuttgart, I don't see where they would have any ethical or legal obligation to repace a nine year old engine.

Having said that, I would negotiate till the cows come home to see if I could get them to ante up something.

Good luck!
I have to respectfully disagree. I do believe that Porsche has a legal obligation to replace/fix a 9 year old engine if it fails well before it's expected lifetime. I don't honestly know if 53,000 miles is legally less than expected - but it's certainly far less than any reasonable person would expect (excepting abuse). However, I don't think they have a legal obligation to provide a "brand-spanking" new engine. At 53,000 miles the owner has gotten some legal enjoyment from the product. Fixing the engine or even installing a used engine with 50,000 miles on it (whichever was cheaper) would be within their rights.

The engine on my 99 failed this past June at 12,800 miles after only owning it for a month. Naturally, I completely freaked and started doing research. In less than a few hours I found at least 30 people from various BBS who experienced the same thing covering Boxsters from 97 - 03. That led me to believe that mine was not the isolated event I thought it was. As such, I believe that the failure falls under the "Warranty of Merchantability & Fitness of Purpose" clause. Simply stated, the device was manufactured with an expectation that it could not fulfill it's intended purpose. This warranty does not have an expiration date.

Luckily for me I had a limited 90 day warranty which got me a free engine. As such, I didn't keep my list of the people with the failure nor did I get a chance to see if the "Warranty of Merchantability & Fitness of Purpose" was actionable.

Prior to the replacement I was fully intending to pursue a Class Action Lawsuit since there was no way in hell I was going to pay for an engine on a vehicle with less than 13,000 miles - regardless of vehicle brand.

I absolutely love my Boxster - but there's no way I would have bought one out of warranty had I known of the RMS and Engine failures. As it is, I'm going to enjoy the heck of it until just before my new engine warranty expires. Then I'll either trade it or sell it. Maybe for another Boxster - maybe not. But whatever vehicle it is, it's going to come with a warranty!

Good Luck - and check out that BBS link from below. There are plenty of people whom with persistance got some results!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote