View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #151
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
Breaking things and gaining first hand experience is required.

Too many simulations were utilized when designing the M96 engine, IMHO.

The sweet spot between simulations and real world practical application is where I try to operate.

Plus, I REALLY enjoy breaking things. I am damn good at it, too.
Couldn't agree more with you that breaking things is the proper way to get things tested, but not necessarily designed - modern software have helped a lot since the last decade. We had a "vault" filled with blown up everything when I was a wage-slave in Milton Keynes back in the days. The most expansive rubbish-pile I saw in my life! I've mopped the floors around it many times

Simulation software are excellent at pre-evaluating stresses vs material-types and sizes selections. Some even comes with unique features under Menu > Dumb > Very Dumb > where you can select: Driver has failed O2 sensors, bad MAF, clogged FIs, Wal-Mart cheap oil, and it simulate the rapid effects of contamination and oil balls has on engines, steels and seals

Priceless. Look up for ANSYS Co. (ANSYS - Simulation Driven Product Development)

Last edited by Nine8Six; 11-02-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote