View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #149
cheetah

Just throwing this out there:

I work with very expensive rotating equipment everyday. A few years ago, we started converting most of our bearings from oil bath (either oil flung up by an oil ring or having a level of oil just slightly above the outer race at the bottom of the bearing) to an oil mist system. The oil mist provides the bearing with a very small mist of oil to be pulled through the bearing. Most people thought that there would be bearing failure because of lack of lubrication, but the data shows that this is not the case. This misting amount is so miniscule, hardly any oil at all.

Bearings do not need much oil to work properly and of course, too much is not better. They do need "good" oil though.

I am sure that Jake could test (maybe he already has) how much oil is splashed up to this bearing. It would show whether that was enough lubrication.

The only scenario where there might not be enough oil momentarily would be immediately upon start-up and under hard cornering.

My Boxster has a 3.4L from an 06 Cayman. So I have that huge, single row bearing. I talked to Charles when I bought the engine and since I didn't want to open an engine with 20K on it, he suggested that I remove the outer race. I did and have ran it that way for the last few summers.