View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #148
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
JFP, to you it may be a dead horse, but to others it has been worthwhile discussing the various bearings and the lubrication of the same. Jake, we all now know that dual-row are better than single-row and Porsche's own numbers verify the same. Indeed, it seems that your own opinion on the same has also evolved over the years for, as I recall, a couple of years ago your opinions in that regard were much more circumspect.

Nevertheless, if lubrication is a contributing factor to IMS bearing failure (and I thought we were all in agreement on that as well), then does it not also stand to reason that a better lubricated bearing should outlast one with poorer lubrication?
You believe that splash lubrication with seals removed is not only adequate, but better than DOF for various reasons (aeration of the oil, etc.) and you may be right. Only time and further testing will tell.

Regardless, my understanding of the issues has been enhanced by this thread and I strongly suspect that the same is true for others. JFP, if it has been tiresome for you, so be it. Anyway, barring some new and unexpected news/information, I'm certainly out of here.

Cheers!

Brad
Let's see, Group A has an opinion based upon years of experience and thousands of successful installations, Group B has a different, and somewhat opposing opinion, based upon a handful of installations and a track record that can probably be measured in weeks. This is not even close to a fair comparison. Through most of this tedious debate, I have read a lot of speculation, supposition, hyperbole, and in some cases wishful thinking packaged as "a logical conclusion". Basically, those that support one view can not or will not accept the potential of the other, and visa versa.

If spraying unfiltered oil on the back of an OEM style steel bearing assembly truly is the future for the M96/97 design engines, in a year or two it may become more obvious, but right now it looks more like trying to develop a trend line from too few data points and a whole lot of arguing. Those of us that stake our business's reputation on how well an aftermarket part will perform will take a wait and see position until there is enough data to confirm its viability. And arguing and posturing is not going to change that.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 11-01-2013 at 12:51 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote