View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #137
Nine8Six

This is going on and on and on LOL

I can see a lot of member bragging about their engineering background but can't see anyone throwing any sort of stress-strain curve vs (x)modulus formulas designed for bearing type selection, materials and applications :/ Fascinating thread otherwise!

As little as I know on anything related to cars.... fuel dilution, glycol, calcium sulfonate contamination are the main cause of engine's internal parts/premature failures. Bearings and seals being mostly at risks. OIL BALLS anyone?! Why would anyone give a bearing more of that would be my first question.

Personally, I have better things to do than worrying about a dumb bearing, or a cheap engine (this is not a Ferrari or a Lambo!). I do however ensure to carry out the regular maintenance on my little 986 roadster, have the fuel injection system, MAF and O2 sensor system functioning spot-on at all time, use PORSCHE APPROVED OILS, and my engine (and bearings) simply works as the "professionals" engineered it. Make sense?

Some of the best bearings (perhaps overkill) in underground motorsport designs are made with TI(Ti-6Al-4V) races, 316 stainless steel balls, packed with solid oil, and sealed to prevent "contaminations". Already public info in case anyone really care to come up with a warranty for 50 years bearing (simple) design.... by all means be the Porsche engineering team's savior!