View Single Post
Old 02-09-2006, 05:56 AM   #1
RandallNeighbour

Question 8-Way Seat Swap Question

Two weeks ago, I got an outrageously good deal on a pair of nearly new black partial leather seats for my box. They're 8-way fully electric seats out of a 2002 996.

The company in CA who sold them to me said they were partial electric, just the back rest like the ones I presently have, so when I unwrapped the seats, I was pleasantly surprised I got fully electric seats, which look brand new, for $775 shipped to me.

Last night, I attempted to install the seats. The passenger seat came out fine, and the new one went in fine after I examined the location of the hot and ground pins in the new seat and found they were where the boxster's pins were located. The seat works fine and is fully operational.

However, when I pulled the driver's seat, I discovered the pins had to be moved to line up with the new seat's electrical needs. This took about five minutes and was no big deal. I just pulled the blue retaining clip out, popped them out and moved them. Simple enough.

Here's my problem. The seat, which is getting electricity (I checked the fuse and then re-installed my old seat after moving the power pins back over) is not working at all. No movement, and no blown fuses.

The driver's seat has a lot more electronics in it vs. the passenger seat due to the seat memory module that it came with. However, I know this seat can also be moved manually with the side switches and not having those memory modules hooked up should not prevent the seat from not working, or should it?

This is one of those technical questions that someone who's retrofitted or fiddled with this upgrade will have to answer for me, so if that's you reading this, please respond with whatever experience or guessing you may be able to offer!

I'm going to try running a couple of wires directly from my battery to the pins on the seat to see if it will work, bypassing the car's internal electrical system just to rule out the fact that it may be the car.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote