View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #132
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
Kirk, I look forward to your updates. With a failure rate of approximately 1%, I would think that if you had a dual-row bearing you would likely be fine with a new dual-row steel bearing and DOF. With the single-row bearing, however, I wonder if the additional cost of a good ceramic bearing might not provide added insurance.

I am not worried about cost. I have both - steel and ceramic bearings in my hands. I can put either in my 2003 C4S. The ceramic would be the obvious choice, right? My only concern there is the nylon cage that holds the balls in position. I have been researching this material to see how well it will hold up in a hot environment exposed to synthetic oil constantly. I see manufacturer's temperature specs ranging from 210 to 250 F. But we know that the bearing seal is rated for 250 F and it does not hold up well. I thought I saw that LN Engineering uses a steel cage, but I have not confirmed that. I know that Casper Labs used a steel cage precisely because the temperature limit of the nylon cage is too close to the hot operating limit of a Porsche engine. So I'm not sure I feel comfortable putting a ceramic bearing with a nylon cage in my car... Still reading and researching before this weekend. One advantage of the DOF is that the better lubrication should allow the bearing to run cooler.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote