View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
...The results....There is an issue on some cars. Porsche knows about it. And will treat each car on an individual basis...Nothing new...
TP,

I can't believe you're attitude here is so cavalier. The RMS Failure Rate in every Poll I've seen consistently hovers between 25% and 30% of all respondents (even if these polls are half right, the failure rate, especially after nearly a decade of production, is inexcusable!). This is a serious failure, not like a squeaky Trunk Lid or something. Porsche deserves NO KUDOS for redesigning the Seal 3 Times and the Tools twice because the Failure remains! A Failure rate like this would put Manufacturers of many other products out of Business.

Porsche needs to do something better than address the issue on an Individual Basis. BTW, is that speculation on your part or is there an announcement or TSB from Porsche to that effect?

So far as I am aware, the only redress available has been for Original Owners still under warranty. For many of them, and most Used car Owners, the out of pocket expense has been a couple thousand at Best and upwards of $10k-$12k Worst Case. Not to mention that this Failure is becoming widely known, depressing the potential Resale Value of the Cars.

IMHO, the True Believers, the Fanatics, are closing ranks and whispering about this issue trying to downplay it lest it stain their precious Marque. Well, I believe that it already has.

I am actually considering testing the waters to see what my Boxster would bring and if my losses aren't so great, just dumping it and getting something more reliable. I have lost a Great deal of confidence in these Cars (because of their Design Flaws) and Porsche (for it's near total lack of concern).

It would be a Fantastic Car if the reliability was there, but it just isn't. And I don't want to bear the cost of a catastrophic failure. The Parts are incredibly expensive, even if I did the work myself.

I have owned 26 Sports Cars in my Life, and only one or two turned out to be mistakes. The Boxster is just a Hare's Breath away from moving into that column...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote