Thread: IMS teaser ...
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
BTfd2e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
How long did it take you to remove/install the RMS and IMSB?
LOOONGGGG....... but i admit .. it was sorta fun to have a couple guys ... scratching heads along the way and rotating the manual book trying to understand what we were looking at ...

i did it together with my buddy (whos a mechanic) at his shop ....

it literally took us 1 full day .. to take the stuff out (i.e. spoiler, bumper, header+muffler, shafts, cabin back wall, intake tubing ..... and finally the tranny etc etc etc)

1 day for the RMS & IMS (trying to figure out how to remove & put it in ... and pissed my pants initially when I saw the LN IMS looks different than the original IMS .... but after 30 mins of surfing on the web, there was 1 post on a forum that says ... it is a little bit smaller .... pheww!)

and at the moment, the parts are still not put back in yet, and lying around on his shop floor.

but I'd imagine it will take 1 day to put it all back in.

So 3 days total.

I think the challenge for me ... was mine is a tiptronic. There was not 1 single resource that could give me the step - by - step instructions all the way thru. I thought I could do it, just by the 100 DIY projects for boxster book I got off amazon. Unfortunately, 1/2 way through it says "due to the space limitations of the book, we will not cover the tiptronic version, only the manual version. Fortunately, the tiptronic tranny doesnt need to be taken out very often" ...... i wasnt amused

I ended up having to constantly compare 3 resources (the 100 projects book, the online tiptronic automatic shop manual, a web DIY guide I found, and looking at a few Youtube clips ... repeatedly ... like 20 times.)

If we had to do it again .... maybe we can trim 1/2 a day due to knowing more.
save 1/2 day of research time

but the parts were really hard to take out .. cos its a 10yr+ car ... and the parts were really bonded together due to oxidation & rust etc etc.

i broke a few bits too .... some tubing and wiring in the engine bay that were brittle probably due to the heat cycles over the years.
BTfd2e93 is offline   Reply With Quote