View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
BrokenLinkage

Agree with Flavor: Expand your search horizon, especially if you have a specific color/option profile in mind.
I am in Alabama. The first Boxster I tried to buy was in Atlanta. When I called Sunday to arrange a PPI Monday (after seeing car Fri night), I was told a Colorado buyer had verbally committed to buy it sight unseen and was wiring the money.
The next one to catch my eye was in Chicago. I emailed as soon as I saw it, but by the time I made contact with the seller, he had a verbal commitment from a buyer (986forum member) from TX, who stole that beauty from my grasp.
The third one was in Texas. I called within 24 hr of the listing, but the seller told me he had taken a call about an hour earlier from a guy in NY who was flying that afternoon to look at it, provided he would hold it until he could get there. That guy bought it (for his daughter!).
Finally I found my car in Philly, put down earnest money, and flew up there to take it for a PPI and back to its new home. The drive back was fantastic (except the gravel truck, whose driver should be glad the FAA doesn't allow firearms in carry-on luggage). That car was only available to me because another out-of-state buyer had backed out of the deal.
The point is, long distance purchases seem more the norm than the exception for these. There are a lot out there. But the choice specimens are limited and worth travelling for.
Consider Ebay, but unless you are very familiar with these cars, a Strong PPI with PIWIS interrogation is absolutely essential. Carfax is a start, but do not regard it as the final word for accident history - I've bought 2 cars off Ebay, both had undisclosed accident repairs which I caught on inspection but were not deal-breakers.
BOL
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote