View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
rondocap

Can you really have fun driving a Tiptronic Porsche?

OK, this isn't a manual versus tiptronic thread - but rather a question for a car driven for fun. Here's my issue:

I, as you may remember - had a manual 986 Boxster that I ended up selling. I really enjoyed it, but due to work I was not really driving it much, and the car was going to need some rather expensive maintenance work that I wanted to do. (New glass top, IMS upgrade, etc..)

So I ended up getting a 12' Manual autobahn GTI. It's a lot of fun, and actually a lot easier to drive than the Porsche. For some reason, my Boxster's clutch had a very high point for getting on the gas with the clutch, and it was always a bit finicky which would lead to some stalls and uncomfortable driving. Amazing how much better the 2012 GTI clutch and gearbox feel vs the 2001 Boxster.

Anyway, I miss the feel of the Boxster. I can't have 2 manual cars for many reasons - so I was looking at the tiptronic cars. Perhaps a 986, but most likely a 2006 987 as that has the glass window, and upgraded IMS so I won't have to spend anything.

So here's my question: Can I still have fun driving sportily a tiptronic, (Not PDK) Boxster, base model? I remember my Boxster had really long gears, 3rd gear would go all the way up to 100mph - which meant I did not have to shift as much when really moving. So I figure the tiptronic would be OK here, and I could always retrofit the Chrono sports pack for faster shifts.

Any idea, or should I just wait until I can get a 2009+ PDK car? I really kind of like the idea of the tiptronic, and they're obviously much cheaper than the PDK cars.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote