View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
evomind

A few questions....

Hey folks,
I have decided to buy an older Boxster, 97-99. It will be a second or third or maybe even 4th vehicle depending on the day, but I think I will drive it more than I think.
That said, my budget is 12.5 to 13k or so tops. I am looking for a low mile, immaculate condition car because that's how I keep my cars.
I know an "S" version would be more fun (faster) but given my budget and the fact that I have a Viper already I don't feel the need to pay the upcharge with money I don't have anyway. lol.

Perusing this site I get the impression that prices on these cars have gone up recently because I have read several posts from a year ago where folks have paid less than what these cars are going for currently.
True?

I have recently driven a 97 with 44k miles. I smelled coolant but couldn't find a leak. Didn't look too hard, just wanted to see if I liked driving the car. I loved the car itself. Despite the coolant smell, however slight, the car ran strong and the chassis and steering felt tight. It hit fuel cutoff at abt 7100 or 7200 rpms. Cosmetically it had many slight scratches on the exterior and some curb rash on at least 1 rim as I recall. Interior VGC. They were asking 13000, seller was a Porsche dealer. Oh yeah, plastic window had a crack in it. Had leather seats and CC I think.
It looked like a 9k dollar car to me. Im pretty sure the dealer will fix the coolant issue if I asked them to if I was buying it.
Thoughts?

Drove a 98 with 33k miles. I watched the exhaust on start up and I thought I smelled oil through the exhaust for the first nano second. Engine ticked upon start up for 10 seconds. (sounded like lifter tick). They say it hadn't run in awhile. Went away then. Car ran good, didn't seem quite as strong as the 97 and fuel shut off occurred at abt 6700 or 6800 rpms.
Cosmetically VGC except what appeared to be 2 significant scratches on rear fender.
Salesman said they would "fix" those. They also had the hard top. Leather seats, CC, interior VGC. Theyre asking 14k. Carfax says ! owner car out of Texas.
Not sure I liked the grey interior enough to deal on it, and not sure I like the idea of them "fixing" scratches. These were deep scratches through the paint, not slight scratches that come just from being an old car. Nice car other wise. Independent dealer.
Thoughts?

Going to look at a 99 next week. Talked to the owner, it has 37k miles and he says it is in "mint" condition, etc. Leather seats, cd player, not sure what else. He is asking 15k. Oh yeah, he said it could use new tires.
What is a pristine condition car like this worth?

Lastly, what options are desirable on these cars? Ive seen pics of full leather interior and some with the cool white face gauges like the newer "S".
What options should I look for??

Sorry about the novel but we all like talking cars anyway, right??
Thanks guys

Last edited by evomind; 10-26-2013 at 10:15 PM.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote