View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
rteichman

Feedback on how the car should feel

I have had my car now for a few weeks (which translates into a few days of driving since I only use it on nice weekend days). This is my first Porsche, and I had only test driven a couple of boxsters before I bought this one. Even though this car was owned by a forum member who gave it a clean bill of health (I bought it from the dealer he traded it into), and I had a PPI done I still have "worries". I guess its my nature.

The car handles fantastically around curves and the engine just purrrs. Its beautiful. HOWEVER I the performance on straight roads and rough (i.e. not perfect pavement) roads concerns me. I am hoping that what I am feeling is "normal", but I would like your input.

I guess the best way to describe the issue, is that on straight roads there is a very minor vibration in the wheel/car and the steering feels "skittish". You feel it, but you can't see the steering wheel vibrate, its that minor. Also its not the same feeling as tires needing balancing. The steering is totally responsive. the tinyist input in either direction and the car goes that way (which is what i would expect). Many years ago I had a similar feeling on another car, and the dealer realigned (it was in spec already) it with at a different setting to have the front wheels "fight each other" and thus get rid of that straight line jitter. I'm not sure I'm describing it right. Also any uneveness in the road tends to reverberate through the car a fraction of a second too long, and worse you feel it through the steering a second longer than I would expect. Interestingly enough, none of these things occur in a curve. The car handles perfectly then: perfect handling, no vibration, no problems with rough roads.

So is this normal or something that needs to be adjusted? What are your thoughts?

Rob
rteichman is offline   Reply With Quote