View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
garycarroll

Need help diagnosing convertible top issues

I believe I have several related problems, and need some help diagnosing what is likely wrong and how to most efficiently get to an acceptable state.

Car is an ’07 Boxster, 85k miles, with removable hardtop.
The first problem was when the drivers side window began dropping only intermittently when the door handle was pulled. The window operated normally with the button and so could be dropped enough to allow opening and closing if it should be required. Eventually the window stopped dropping on handle operation and I got in the habit of using the switch to exit. With the hardtop it is possible to drop the window enough to enter and exit and still get a weather seal, so this was not a critical problem.
At this point the light on the lock switch on the dash stayed on. If I removed the hardtop and lowered the windows by switch the convertible top operated. (I did not test with the windows up, to see if the windows would drop for top cycling.)
Now the passenger side window has stopped operating altogether – no drop when door handled pulled, no response to switch. It stopped up, which is better than down, I suppose.
I removed the hard top and tested the convertible top, attempting this with both doors open (glass out of the way). Top went up perfectly. This was a mistake, because now it won’t go down. The light on the "top actuation" switch does not light when I unlatch the top, and of course, windows won’t drop. Doors open or closed makes no difference.
I have several goals:
1) Drop the top and reinstall the hard top. I want to do this ASAP, even if it’s a work-around, or only requires fixing part of the problem. The hardtop stays on most of the time. When it's off, the convertible top is also down. Thus, the convertible top is only for unexpected weather, and with the hardtop installed I can take my time getting other stuff fixed.
2) Get a good handle on what all is wrong, and how much time and or money it will take to get it working correctly all the way around.

Suggestions?
garycarroll is offline   Reply With Quote