View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #101
Steve Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
Absolutely! Bearings are NOT happy if they are not lubricated. We've had this before at my factory - a piece of equipment is returned from rebuild. It's not lubricated by the rebuild shop. We assume it is and put it in the machine. How long do you think it lasts? Not long!

This is from the LN Engineering IMS Retrofit website:

Kirk Bristol
Kirk,
My comment was not questioning the correct lubrication of bearings but the fact that THOUSANDS of the earlier LN ceramic ball bearings are in service since 2007/8 & significantly without any reported failures. To my mind this means that the (presumably) questionable oiling from splash or otherwise is adequate for ceramic hybrids. Perhaps not so for the original steel deep groove ball bearings as fitted by Porsche.

Its only relatively recently that the "lubrication" mousetrap has been mooted as a primary cause of bearing failure - previously everything hinged on the original bearing type being at fault.