View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #12
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
Perfectlap makes a lot of sense in terms of repair expectations. He is also right that there are lots of Carreras out there too. The latter I have tried but even if more hp then they seem too GT like for me. You should try one anyway. Don't limit yourself to trying just 2 Boxsters. Consider the options each have. For instance on my 2001 Box base I have no remote to open the door. I use a key LOL! PSM? Nope. Take your time looking. Don't limit yourself to trying two cars. Enjoy!
Honestly I think the average first-time Porsche buyer is better off in a 996 or 997.
Many only consider a Boxster because the 'entry free' is lower than that of a used 996. But then they are rudely awakened by the fact that major maintenance and unexpected repairs are just as expensive for a Boxster/Cayman as it is for a non-Turbo Carrera. Just look underneath a Boxster or Cayman, plenty of expensive 996 and 997 parts all over... and the mechanic doesn't lower his hourly rate because the engine is in the middle.

Which means the whole rationale for buying a Boxster over a Carrera was flawed from the start. The Boxster is for the roadster fan. Any perceived savings will disappear quickly when the clutch/IMS/RMS/FW/CV boots need replacing or the water pump lets go.

Buy the category of sports car you like with the engine you like. The admission fee to the Porsche club going to cost you either way through costly repairs if the mileage is high enough for depreciation to kick in. If you drive the car once a week for an hour only during summer...maybe you can have your cake and eat it too.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote