View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #47
Frodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
I wish I had a hand grenade
I find myself agreeing with the OP on this, partially because I've had the same thought myself at times. I agree, of course, with those who point out that we are free to drive what we want, and likewise that there are those Porsche folks that fall into the in-yer-face crowd this Hummer owner probably belongs to. That said, as some have pointed out, among the group of 986/987 people here there is typically not a lot of conspicuous consumption going on in their automobile of choice. Indeed, many here are driving cars that, if sold, wouldn’t cover the cost of a gently used Toyota Corolla.

The thing that gets to me here is that, if this Hummer driver is of the same stripe as many of them, his attitude---as arrogantly declared by his license plate---is not necessarily of a playful, static or even harmless nature. It’s an active, potentially aggressive one, an attitude he carries with him every time he gets behind the wheel. He is the guy who can’t be bothered to use his turn signal, the guy who tailgates relentlessly despite plentiful opportunities to pass, the guy who doesn’t hesitate to take up two (three?) parking spaces, the guy who ties up the passing lane as if it were his and his alone. An attitude and---it would seem---a perceived sense of entitlement that quite arguably exists because they have this mindset that says “I do this because I can, BECAUSE I AM BIGGER THAN YOU.”

I’ll humbly apologize to those Hummer owners that fall outside of the stereotype I have described. I’m sure they exist. But you know what? I don’t really think there are all that many of them.

So, to (Ahem) Mr Rensho…if you’re potentially a sociopath, I guess maybe I am too?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote