View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #6
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by donv
Hi, does it matter whether that juice is coming from the battery end or the lighter socket end? Meaning, in either way, whatever circuits are live or shorted are getting power from one end of the connection or the other - from the battery end or the lighter plug, right? The current from a Charge-O-Mat is really small compared with a standard charger too. The same short will be there in the spring even if you pull the battery in the winter, so I'm not sure I understand the electrical advantages of avoiding the Charge-O-Mat.

Now, on the other hand, I do understand the idea that charging a non-sealed battery while in a stationary car (as in storage) might lead to corrosive outgassing which can eat parts you care about... but that is simply an argument for or against pulling the battery, not the method of charge.

And yes, I use the Porsche Charge-O-Mat lighter plug maintainer . Works like a charm and it was trivially easy to take a midwinter drive recently when the weather cooperated - just unplugged the C-O-M to leave and popped it back in when I came home - no dirty hands required.
Hi,

Actually, with some circuitry it does matter (microcircuitry with Diodes, etc.). But, when I use a Trickle Charger/Maintainer, I disconnect the Battery, even if it's in situ.

As I said, I may be overly cautious, but I guarantee that I'll never Fry an Electrical System trying to maintain a Battery, or test Porsche's C-O-M Warranty section on Consequential Damage (and judging from their response to RMS and the like, I'm not brimming with Confidence). And, to be fair, you may not either.

But, I've owned so many Cars with Lucas Electrical Systems, and seen several friends' cars go up in smoke, that I choose to exercise more caution. You'll note I did not advise anyone to do this, just explained my method and reasoning. I don't Applaud or Condemn your method, I simply choose another...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-07-2006 at 02:58 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote